Tier 4 (Child)

Tier 4 (Child)

Tier 4 (child) student visa

Students that wish to come to the United Kingdom under a Tier 4 (child) student visa require an educational institution to sponsor them (in other words, the relevant institution must hold a valid sponsorship licence. The period of the granted visa will depend on the length of the course. Furthermore, this visa can only be applied by only those individuals aged 4 – 17 and they must study in an independent school.

To apply for this visa you must

  • Have a place on a course
  • Have the consent of your parent or guardian
  • Have enough funds to cover your fees and living costs
  • Not be a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

With this visa you can:

  • Study in an independent school
  • Apply for outside the UK
  • Apply to extend your stay

If you are over 16 you can:

  • Work part-time during term for up to 10 hours per week
  • Work full-time during vacations
  • Work on a work placement as part of you course (but no more than 50% of your course time)
  • Work as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years

With this visa you cannot

  • Study at an academy or a local authority-funded school or a further education college
  • Get public funds
  • Take a full-time permanent job or be self-employed
  • Work as dentist or dentist in training
  • Work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
  • Settle in the UK with his visa
  • Bring in family members – if your parents wish to accompany you, they will need to apply for a Parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Your education provider will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) once they have offered you a place on a course. You will need to enter this on your application.

Your CAS can cover both the pre-sessional course and your main course of study.

You must apply for the visa no later than 6 months after you are sent the CAS.

Extend your visa

It is possible to stay longer to continue your course or study a new one.

You will have to:

  • Meet the eligibility requirements of this visa
  • Already be in the UK
  • Be sponsors by an independent school

What are you getting?

Extension extend your visa to prolong your stay in the UK

Switching switch into a different type of visa


  • Luxury education system
  • Stud in the UK for your required period
  • Choose the private education facility to match your needs
  • Apply to extend your stay

Ask our experts

Speak with our experts

Our real case studies

Read our news