Tier 2 General Visa: Guidelines and Requirements for Visa Extension

Long Residence ILR Application: Guidelines and General Questions
Long Residence ILR Application: Guidelines and General Questions
January 9, 2020
Sole Representative Visa - Financial Requirements
Sole Representative Visa: Guidelines and Financial requirements
January 13, 2020
Tier 2 General Visa

The Tier 2 General visa is initially granted for up to 3 years. Applicant who is employed in the UK under the Tier 2 General visa, their permission to remain and work in the UK will be time limited. If they intend to remain in the UK after visa expiry, they will need to apply for further leave to remain, by way of a Tier 2 visa extension, which can be for a period of up to 2 years. If applicant is changing employers while remaining under Tier 2, they will also need to make an application on the basis of their new sponsor.

In order to extend leave, applicant must follow to the eligibility criteria under the visa category – that is, they are employed in a qualifying role for a sponsoring employer at the required salary level.

Applicant’s employer will also need to continue to meet its duties as a licensed sponsor – extension applications for a Tier 2 visa are known to trigger a Home Office review of the employer’s immigration compliance.

Applicant is permitted to submit your extension application up to 60 days before your current visa is due to expire.

  1. How you can apply for a Tier 2 visa extension

For the extension, their employer will need to assign to applicant a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). Use this reference number to make their application to the Home Office for further leave to remain within 3 months of the date that the CoS was issued, or before your existing visa expires – whichever is sooner. If applying online, the application will not be submitted until applicant pay the visa application fee and the NHS Immigration Health surcharge. Importantly, your extension application can be only be made from within the UK. Applicant will need to submit their biometric information to confirm their identity.

  1. Change of Employment applications

If applicant is changing employer, their new employer will need to issue a new Certificate of Sponsorship, before they can apply make new visa application.

If applicant is changing roles but staying employed by the same sponsor, they may also need to make a change of employment application where:

  • Core duties changes to the extent that a different Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) code will apply; or
  • Under TUPE (or similar) protection applicant can change jobs and the new job is in the same SOC code, but new salary is less than the appropriate rate for the new job as shown in the relevant code of practice; or
  • There is a change to your core duties which means you change jobs from a job which is currently on the shortage occupation list to a job which is not on the shortage occupation list; or
  • Pay reduces from the level indicated on your current Certificate of Sponsorship, other than changes due to company-wide reductions defined as acceptable in the Sponsor Guidance, or reductions due to maternity, paternity, adoption leave, and/or a period of sick leave that lasted for one month or longer; or
  • Changes to applicant core duties which means your job changes within the same SOC code provided your pay remains above the acceptable rate for the new job.
  1. Which documents required for Tier 2 General Visa extension

There are some of the documents to demonstrate their continued work in the UK, including but not limited to:

  • Current, valid passport or travel document
  • Current visa or leave to remain/Biometric Residence
  • National Insurance number
  • Expired passports as proof of immigration history
  • Proof of knowledge of the English language
  • Certificate of Sponsorship (reference number);
  • Proof of personal savings where their sponsor is not supporting applicant

When applying to extend applicant will need to continue to meet the salary threshold under the visa.


You can request 15 minutes free consultation; it will be conducted over the phone only.

Mann’s Solutions is international immigration law firm with offices in London, Hong Kong, Istanbul and St Petersburg and has expertise in offering UK Visas and Immigration by Investment services to high net worth individuals. Our immigration lawyers regulated by OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner).

For further information or to discuss your personal circumstances in a private consultation, please contact us at enquiries@manns-solutions.com or call +44 207 993 63 46.