Tier 2 (General)

Tier 2 (General)

Tier 2 (General) visa is now one of the most important entry routes in the United Kingdom for skilled workers that are citizens of those countries that are outside of the European Economic Area. This type of visa has 4 categories: General (for the people coming to the UK with a valid job ofer to fll a position that cannot be flled by a settled worker); Intra Company Transfers ( for employees of multi-national companies who are being transferred by an overseas employer to a skilled job in a UK-based branch of the organisation); Sports People (elite sportspeople and coaches whose employment will make a signifcant contribution to the development of their sport) and Minister of Religion (for those people coming to fll a vacancy as a Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member of a Religious Order).

We can help you make a successful application.

Tier 2 (General) Visa

This visa is for those who wish to work in the UK as a skilled worker.

To come to the UK under this visa you must be:

Offered a skilled job in the UK by an employer

You are a non-European citizen

For this type of visa you must be sponsored and have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) before you can apply to come to the UK to work.

The work you will do must correlate to what your certificate of sponsorship shows.

To be eligible you must have the following:

  • A certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • A salary no lower than £20 800
  • A required level of English (IELTS B1 level), Unless you are a national of a majority English speaking country (i.e. USA, Canada)
  • You must also have savings in account - £945 to prove you are able to support yourself. The money must be present in your account for 90 days before you apply.
  • You will need to pass a Tuberculosis (TB) test

Your sponsor must be an A-rated one. Those companies that have a lower rating will need to raise it before they can accept employees. Taking a second job is possible under this visa. However, it can only be up to 20 hours and the same type of work as the main job.

If you are currently in the UK on a legal visa, you are allowed to switch into a Tier 2 (General) visa. The visas you can switch from are:

Tier 1, Any other Tier 2 visa, Tier 4, Tier 5 (Creative and Sporting).

For those who are students and would like to switch into a Tier 2 visa must have one of the following qualifications:

  • UK Bachelor's degree
  • UK Masters degree
  • A postgraduate certificate in education
  • A Professional graduate diploma of education

These recognitions must come from a UK recognised body or an institution that has a Tier 4 sponsor licence.

Those who hold a PhD must have completed at least 12 months of studies during the most recent stay in the UK and had permission to take the qualification.

Under this type of visa you are allowed to bring your dependant family members with you. A dependant can be any of the following:

  • Husband, wife or partner
  • Your child under 18
  • Your child over 18 if they are currently in the UK as a dependant

Each dependant an applicant wishes to bring to the UK will add £630 to the initial requirement of £945.

For children that are born in the UK, it is possible to apply for permission for them to stay.

Tier 2 (General) Visa extensions

To be eligible for a possible extensions after the initial 3 years (it is possible to receive a 5 year vis but it depends on the applicant and occupation), you will be expected to show that:

  • You have the same job as when you were issued your previous permission to enter the UK
  • You are still working for the same employer who assigned your certificate of sponsorship
  • You are still earning the required minimum of £20 800 per year

You can apply to extend your visa for up to 5 years, as long as your total stay is not more than 6 years

Settlement in the UK as a skilled worker under Tier 2 (General) visa

For a skilled worker to qualify for indefinite leave to remain in the UK, you will have to show:

  • Proof that you are still employed by the same employer who issued you the Certificate of Sponsorship
  • Proof that you are still in the same occupation as is issued in your Certificate of Sponsorship
  • You earn at least £35 000 by the time of application
  • You have proof of your English Language skills (IELTS)
  • You have passed the Life in the UK test
  • Employer's letter must state that you will still be required in the foreseeable future
  • You have not left the country more than 90 days per one year period

It is possible to apply for a British Passport (naturalisation) after an additional one year of residence and if you have not left the country more than 90 days during the last 12 months before applying for the passport.

Frequently Asked Questions - Tier 2 (General) Visa

Can I apply without a sponsor

No, under this route you must have a sponsor prior to the application, as the reference number is required to prove legitimacy of your intentions.

Do I need to have any money

Yes and no, you must have £945 on account for 90 days prior to the application date. However, your A rated sponsor can provide you with the required maintenance amount if the two parties have agreed on it.

Can I work anywhere else

It is possible to work a second job. However, it must at the same occupation and level as your main job and it cannot be more than 20 hours per week. If you wish to switch employers completely you will have to reapply for the visa.

Is it possible to settle under this visa

Yes, you can settle under visa after 5 years of residence, if you have not left the country more than 90 days per year and if you earn at least £35 000 at the time of settlement.

Can I bring my family with me

Yes, you can bring your spouse, partner and children under18 to the UK (those who are over 18 must be in the UK already and apply from inside as dependants).

How long will the visa last

The visa is granted for up to 5 years. However, people how get 3 year visa can extend it for an additional 2 years.

What are you getting?

ILR after 5 years of residence in the UK

NATURALISATION after 12 months of receiving ILR


  • First time applicants can receive up to a 5-year visa
  • You can bring your family with you
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK
  • Study if it does not interfere with your work

Ask our experts

Speak with our experts

Our real case studies

Read our news