UK Exceptional Talent VisaContents
• Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa
• Visa limitations
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa in the UK
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent category of the Points Based System is directed towards individuals who are endorsed (i.e.recognised) in such fields as: science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology or the arts as:
• An emerging leader (exceptional promise)
• A recognised leader (exceptional talent)
The process of this type of visa is divided into two stages. Endorsement and the visa application. An endorsement must be obtained from the Home Office before an applicant can apply for a visa application. As mentioned before it is possible to choose from different fields depending on your skills.
After obtaining the endorsement from one of the endorsing bodies as a leader or an emerging leader in a particular field it is possible to apply for the visa itself.
However, the applications are limited to certain amounts depending on the sector you are skilled in.
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa
The visa is aimed at non-European citizens who are considered to have “exceptional talent” and are known as world leaders in a particular field. An application will require 75 points of the Points Based System for a successful application.
To obtain these points a person will need to receive an endorsement from a designated competent body. These “bodies” are controlled by the UK government and they are able to identify if an applicant can be classified as a world leader in a particular field.
There currently are no specifically mentioned English or maintenance requirements however, coming to the UK with an empty bank account may result in a refusal.
Upon a successful application, a visa is granted for 3 years under this category and the it is possible to extend for an additional 2 years.
Under this visa a person can:
• Work for an employer, as a director of a company or be self-employed
• Change jobs without informing the Home Office
• Do voluntary work
• Travel abroad and return to the UK
• Bring family members with you
Under this visa a person cannot:
• Get public funds
• Works as a doctor or dentist in training
• Work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
As mentioned before a person must be endorsed as a leader in one of the following categories:
• Digital technology
• The arts
The endorsement decision is reached within 8 weeks.It is possible to receive a faster decision for those who are applying within the digital technology route and one of the following applies:
• Work or set up a company in certain cities in northern England
• Have certain technical or business skills
• Have a team of 5 or more people relocating to the UK
After obtaining an endorsement a letter will be sent with the necessary references to be used in the application itself.
Extensions for the Tier 1 Exceptional talent visa are available if:
• The organisation that endorsed you has not withdrawn their approval
• Evidence can be provided that documents are provided in regard to the current field of expertise
The extension itself can be granted for an additional 2 years (possible to extend up to 5).
To apply for settlement, residence in the UK must have been at least for 5 years. Although it is possible to apply with less than 5 years which would include previously granted visas, such as Tier 1 Migrant (excluding Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneuror Tier 1 Post-Study Work), or Tier 2 (excluding Tier 2 ICT holders).
Applicants must have spent no more than 180 days outside the UK, if this limit has been breached then it will no longer qualify.
An applicant will also need to pass an English language test, accepted evidence is:
• A degree from a UK university (i.e. Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD)
• IELTS test at B1 level