Theresa May Brexit Speech and EU Citizens

As of 16 January 2017 the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Theresa May, has given hints that the UK is moving towards a hard Brexit. Although Theresa May insists EU citizens are ‘welcome’ to be in the UK, she cannot guarantee the right of EU citizens in the UK at an early stage. These are troubling news for Europeans and British Citizens currently living and working in the UK. We would urge Europeans to think
about applying for Residence Documentation, Qualified Person Certificates and prepare Residence Cards for their family members to avoid unnecessary hardships in the future.

Here are the documents immigrants and their family members can apply:

Registration Certificate

This is the first and easiest document a European National can apply for. Under this certificate a ‘Qualified Person’ is someone who is working, self-employed, studying, self-sufficient. We highly recommend this document to those Europeans who do not satisfy the permanent residence criteria. This is not a difficult document to obtain and is a good starting point to work towards permanent residency.

Permanent Residence Card

This type of residence can be obtained by EEA nationals and their non-EU family members after five years of lawful and continuous stay in the UK. The definition of lawful in this regards means that an individual(s) is a worker, self-employed, student or self-sufficient. Each of these categories require different documents and we can advise and help you to prepare them.

For those non-EU family members (in this regards spouses/civil partners) who have divorced their European family member it is still possible to obtain a permanent residence permit by Retained Right of Residence. However, the marriage had to have lasted for at least 3 years.

Family Members of European Nationals

This type of visa splits into two different categories. Those who are spouses, civil partners, descendants (children), up to 21 years of age, of the European national or the spouse, civil partner and dependants who are over the age of 21.

The second category is Extended Family Members. This applies to those who are in a relationship with the EU national like an uncle, aunt, grandchildren, cousins and etc.

Each of these visas require specific documents which we can help you with the collection and preparation. Upon a successful application the visa will grant the non-EU nationals the right to work, study and live in the UK for 5 years. After that period these individuals may ask for Permanent Residence.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any assistance in making an application.


Tags: brexit Britain EU EU Citizens European Union

One Reply to “Theresa May Brexit Speech and EU Citizens”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *