Join Our Webinar on 7 April 2022 "Dubai Investor Visa: Detailed Visa Application Process 2022"
← Back
February 2, 2021

Sole Representative Visa: List of documents Required from Main Applicant

For any overseas citizen who wishes to work in the UK and open a branch or subsidiary for a company or business based in their country of origin, must apply for a Sole Representative Visa. This visa allows someone to live and work in the UK and bring over any dependants, such as partner and children, for a period of three years. It also enables dependants to work in their own right without restriction.

As part of the application, both the sole representative and the overseas company itself will need to supply a substantial portfolio of documents.


You should collate the following documents before applying for a sole representative visa:

  • Passport and other valid travel documentation. You are required to have a blank page in your passport on which to place the visa
  • Evidence you will be able to support yourself and any dependants – this can be in the form of bank statements, or other relevant documentation
  • Full details of your accommodation arrangements in the UK – such as a rental agreement or similar
  • Confirmation that you have attained the relevant knowledge level of English language. You may need to prove this, by either passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening or possessing an academic qualification taught in English and recognised by UK NARIC as comparable to a UK undergraduate degree, master’s degree or PhD. You may be permitted to meet the language requirement in other ways and should consult the full visa guidance on the website for further information.


The following is a list of countries that exempt nationals from having to prove their knowledge of English language: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and the USA.


  • If you come from a country where it is mandatory to take a tuberculosis test, you will have to provide the test results. A negative test result certificate will be valid for six months
  • Provide a complete summary of the overseas business, including a description of services/products it provides, any assets and liabilities and any other information relevant to the application
  • A letter confirming it is the business’s intention to create a ‘wholly owned subsidiary or branch office’ in the UK
  • The sole representative’s job description, salary and benefits and evidence they can make decisions independent of the overseas parent company
  • Proof of employment, e.g. a contract of employment and/or letter of engagement. This is to ensure that the sole representative is an employee rather than an agent.
  • Proof that you were employed by the overseas business and will be solely devoting your entire time to working for that company whilst you are in the UK
  • All applicants are required to supply a certified translation of any documents that are not in either English or Welsh.


Contact our Immigration Lawyers – Sole Representative Visa

Mann’s Solutions is an international immigration law firm with offices in London, Hong Kong, and Moscow. We are specialised in offering UK Visas and Immigration by Investment services to high net worth individuals. Our immigration lawyers are regulated by OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) and IMC (Investment Migration Council).

For further information or to discuss your circumstances in a private consultation with our immigration lawyers in London Office, please contact us at or call +44 207 993 63 46.