EEA Residence Card (Family Member)

The EEA Residence Card is aimed at family member of European Nationals who are in the UK. This type of document will grant those Family Members 5 years of residence.

To be eligible for this type of document the European Family Member must be exercising his treaty rights. In other words, the person in question must be a worker, self-employed, student or self-sufficient.

After the 5-year period the Family Members can apply under EU law for Permanent Residence (PR) documentation just like their European Family Member.

We can help you make a successful application.

EEA Residence Card

This type of visa is for those family members who are related to a European national. The relevant family member must:

Other ways you can apply for this type of visa are:

A Family Member under this route is:

All other type of family members (including unmarried partners) are considered to be extended family members. However, they can still apply, it will just require additional documentation.

For this type of visa you will have to provide:

It is expected for your European sponsor to hold a Qualified Person certificate or a Permanent Residence document. Furthermore, while this is not a legal requirement it will help to improve the chances for a successful application.

For those Europeans who are Students or Self-sufficient they must have comprehensive sickness insurance

Upon a successful application you will receive a 5 year visa. This visa will allow you to work, study and live in the UK for 5 years. Also, at the end of the 5 year period you can apply for Permanent Residence (PR).

Other Eligible Routes

Retained Right of Residence

You can also apply if you have used to be a family member, or extended family member, who was a permanent resident or qualified person. You may be eligible for this if:

You will have to prove:

Surinder Singh Cases

You may be eligible to apply for a residence card using the 'Surinder Singh' route if you:

You can prove your UK sponsor genuinely moved to another EEA country with:

Proof of address, how long they have lived there and any other related information, e.g. if they rented a house.

EEA Residence Card - Frequently Asked Questions

I came to the UK without a visa but I have a European family member here. Is it possible to apply?

Yes, it may be possible to apply for this type of visa. However, additional documents may be required.

How can I apply for this visa?

You must apply for this visa inside the UK.

Do I need to show financial support?

While under European Union Law there is no strict requirement to show any financial support, it is meant to establish a genuine relationship between family members.

I am an unmarried partner can I apply?

Yes, you can apply as an extended family member. There is no pressure for you to get married once you are here.

I have a British spouse/civil partner/unmarried partner can I apply?

Yes, you can apply as long as the British Citizen has proof that they have worked in a European country in the past.

I was married to a European national can I still apply?

Yes, you can apply for retained right of residence. You would need to have been married for at least 3 years, lived together for one year and the European must have worked during the divorce proceedings.

Do I need to have saving or pass an English exam?

No, you do not need to show any proof of your savings or pass an English exam to apply for this visa.

Can I apply for settlement with this visa?

Yes, after 5 years you can apply under European Union Law and receive a Permanent Residence document.

What is an extended family member?

An extended family member is someone like: an uncle, aunt, cousins, grandparents, nephews, nieces and etc.). Unmarried partners count as extended family members too.

Are there any conditions for this visa?

Yes, you must show that your European Sponsor is still exercising his 'Treaty Rights' (i.e. working, studying and etc.)

How long can I stay with this visa?

You can stay up to 5 years with this visa. Later on, you should apply for Permanent Residence (PR).

Can I leave the UK?

Yes, you can comeback and leave the UK as you need.

Can I apply for a British Passport?

After you have lived for 5 years in the UK and you have applied for EEA PR (Permanent Residence) you can apply for a passport after 1 additional year. However, you for this you will have to show your English language skills (pass an exam) and pass the Life in the UK test.

Will I be able to work with this visa?

Yes, with this visa you are allowed to work, study and live in the UK.

Can I travel to other European countries?

If you travel with your European partner, yes. Otherwise you must apply for a Schengen visa to the relevant country.

What are you getting?

Residence Card a 5-year visa for that allows you to work, live and study in the UK

Permanent Residence you can apply for PR after 5 years


Call us at +44 (0) 207 99 36 346

Free Assessment

Would you like free advice from our experts? Fill in this form and our lawyers will contact you as soon as possible