European Permanent Residence

Those who are an EEA (European Economic Area) national or a family member of an EEA national and have lived in the UK for 5 years by exercising their treaty rights, it is possible to obtain Permanent Residence.

During the 5-year period the applicant must exercise his treaty rights by: working, self-employment, studying or being self-sufficient.

As of November 2015, it became a requirement to receive this document before applying for British Citizenship.

We can help you make a successful application.

European Permanent Residence

This type of document is for those who have lived in the UK for at least 5 years (this type of document can be obtained by non-European family members as well).

To be eligible for this type of visa you must be:

This type of document does not have any specific maintenance or English language requirement.

Other eligible routes

Retained Right of Residence

You can also apply if you have used to be a family member, or extended family member, who was a permanent resident or qualified person. You may be eligible for this if:

You will have to prove:

Surinder Singh Cases

You may be eligible to apply for a residence card using the 'Surinder Singh' route if you:

You can prove your UK sponsor genuinely moved to another EEA country with:

Proof of address, how long they have lived there and any other related information, e.g. if they rented a house.

Frequently asked questions for EEA PR for Europeans

How can I apply for this document?

You must be a family member, extended family member (or have been one previously) and you and your sponsor must have lived in the UK for 5 years.

Can I apply for this document any other way?

Yes, you can apply for Retained Right of Residence (RRR) by being married to your partner for 3 years, lived together for 1 year and your sponsor must have worked during the divorce procedure (other conditions may apply depending on the circumstances).

I have been taking care of a European national can I apply for this document?

Unfortunately no, if you are a care taker you can only extend your visa you will not be able to settle under this route.

Can I leave the country with this document?

Yes however, you should aim not to leave more than 90 days per year.

Can I invite my family member with this visa?

As long as your sponsor is still a European national he can invite your family to the UK. If not your family would have to apply under UK immigration law.

What documents will I need to show?

Every case will demand different type of document according to the situation. However, you have to show 5 years of activity (e.g. work status and finances)

Will I be able to travel to Europe?

You can travel with your sponsor. However, if you wish to go alone you will need a Schengen visa.

Is it possible to apply for a British Passport?

Yes, after 1 additional year you can apply for Naturalisation. However, you should aim not to leave the UK for more than 90 days and you will need to pass the Life in the UK test.

I have lived with my European sponsor in a different EU country. Can I still apply under for this document?

No, you must live in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years before you can apply.

Will I need to show any funds or my language skills?

No, there is no specific requirement for English language or savings. However, if you do have some proof of your English language (i.e. a degree) it can be used to show as your progress towards integrating yourself into British society.

What will this document grant me?

It will grant you an unlimited right to study, work and live in the UK. However, if you leave the country for more than 2 years or commit a serious crime this document will be revoked. It must also be renewed every 10 years if you do not intend to apply for naturalisation.

What is the processing time for this visa?

The usual waiting time is 8 weeks. However, depending on the complexity of the case it may be sooner or it may take up to 6 months.

What are you getting?

Permanent Residence (PR) secure your place in the UK after 5 years of residence

NATURALISATION apply for a British Passport after 12 months


Call us at +44 (0) 207 99 36 346

Free Assessment

Would you like free advice from our experts? Fill in this form and our lawyers will contact you as soon as possible