Indefinite Leave to Remain

Settlement in the United Kingdom is called ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) (or Permanent Residence for EEA nationals). This type of document is granted to those individuals who have already shown a commitment to the UK on a temporary visa or visas.

After an individual has lived in the UK for a specific period of time they can apply for ILR which grants them the right to stay in the UK for as long as they wish, and apply for naturalisation.

We can help you make a successful application.

Settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain)

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is an immigration status granted to an individual after a relevant time period has passed (depending on the circumstances it can be anywhere from 2, 3, 4, 5 or even 10 years)

A person who receives this documents will be free to reside, take up employment or study without any restrictions.

While applicants can spend up to 180 days outside the UK per year, it would be advisable to not spend more than 90 days as it may affect the chances of obtaining a British passport.

Settlement by investment

Investor need to invest at least £2 million in the UK to apply for settlement after 5 years. It is possible to qualify for accelerated permanent residence after 2 years if you maintain an investment of £10 million or after 3 years if you maintain an investment of £5 million.

In order to qualify for indefinite leave to remain in the UK on the basis of an investment in the UK, you will need to show that:

Settlement by Entrepreneurship

If you have invested in a new or existing UK business and your investment has created at least two new full-time jobs, you may apply for permanent residence in the UK after five years. You may qualify for accelerated permanent residence after 3 years if you create 10 new jobs or your business receives at least £ 5 million in income from business activity.

In order to qualify on the basis of an investment in a new or existing business in the UK, you will need to show that:

Settlement for Workers

In order to qualify for leave to remain as a Tier 2 General migrant, you will need to show that:

Differences in similar type visas:

Settlement for spouses

After spending 5 years in the UK as the spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, dependant or child of a British or European citizen, you may be eligible for settlement in the UK.

In order to qualify you will need to show that:

For adult dependants:

You will be adequately maintained, accommodated and cared for in the UK by your family member, without recourse to public funds

Regarding children:

Settlement under Long Residency

In order to qualify for settlement under the 10 year rule, you will have to show that:

Your residence must be unbroken. It will be broken if:

If you are able to establish 10 years continuous lawful residence UKVI will consider if there are any public interest against your settlement. They will take into account:

Frequently asked Questions - Settlement

How do I know when to apply for settlement?

It will depend on your circumstances and the type of visa you have. However, the basic time you can apply for settlement is after 5 years.

Can my family apply for settlement?

Yes, your family can apply for settlement with you.

Can I apply for settlement faster?

Yes, but it will depend on the type of visa you have. If you have a Investor, Entrepreneur, or Turkish businessperson visa it may be possible to apply faster.

I am a student can I settle?

As a student you must either switch to a different visa (like Tier 1 or 2) or apply under long residency rules after 10 years.

I am a European how should I apply?

European nationals should apply under permanent residence not ILR.

Will I be able to apply for a British passport after settlement?

If you successfully receive your settlement documentation you can apply for Naturalisation (British Passport) after you have lived here in total 6 years (conditions apply).

Are there any restrictions to workers?

Workers (Tier 2) who wish to apply for settlement must earn £35 000 before the date of application.

Why do I need to settle?

After your extension you must settle, switch your visa or leave the UK.

What are you getting?

ILR after 2, 3 or 5 years of residence in the UK (conditions apply)


Call us at +44 (0) 207 99 36 346

Free Assessment

Would you like free advice from our experts? Fill in this form and our lawyers will contact you as soon as possible