EEA Family Permit

EEA Family Permit

The freedom of movement allows European nationals to move freely within the European Union. Those who leave their home country and enter one of the Member States to work, live and/or study is exercising his/her treaty rights.

This is a crucial requirement for European who wish to invite their family members to the UK.

Upon successful application, a family member will be given a 6 months visa. Furthermore, after those initial 6 months a family member can apply for an EEA Residence card which will grant them a 5-year visa.

We can help you make a successful application.

EEA FP (Family Permit)

This type of visa is for those family members who are related to a European (or a European's spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner). In other words you must be:

  • From outside the European Union
  • The family member or 'extended' family member of a European national

Other ways you can apply for this type of visa are:

  • With a derivative right of residence (you are the care of someone who ahs the right to be in the UK, the carer's child, or the child of an EEA national who has previously worked in the UK
  • Under the 'Surinder Singh' route (you are the family member of a British citizen who has lived and worked in another EEA country)
  • With a Retained Right of Residence (you have the right to stay in the UK as the family member of an EEA national who has died, left the UK or is no longer your spouse or civil partner.

To qualify as a family member you must be:

  • Spouse, civil partner
  • Child or grandchild under 21 years old, or dependent child or grandchild of any age
  • Dependant parent or grandparent

All other type of family members (including unmarried partners) are considered to be extended family members. However, they can still apply, it will just require additional documentation.


For this type of visa you will have to provide:

  • A valid passport
  • Evidence of your relationship to the European national (for example, a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate or proof that you have lived together for at least 2 years as unmarried partners)
  • Proof of your dependency on the European national (can be financial, emotional support or both)

You will have to prove that your European family member has a Permanent Right of Residence, has a Qualified Person certificate or is one of the following if they have been in the UK for more than 3 months:

  • Working
  • Self-employed
  • Studying
  • Self-sufficient

If the European family member is a student or self-sufficient he or she must have comprehensive sickness insurance.

IUpon receiving this visa it will grant entry clearance for 6 months and will provide a temporary right to live, study and work in the UK. Nearing the end of the visa. The family member can apply for a Family member visa (or an extended family member visa depending on who they are).

Frequently Asked Questions - EEA FP (Family Permit)

How long can I stay with this visa

You can stay up to 6 months with this type of visa. After which you can apply for a Family member visa.

What kind of document will I have to show

You will need to prove you are a family member of a European national and any support you receive (financial & emotional).

Who can come under this visa

Under this visa any family member of the European national or his/her spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner can apply.

Where do I need to apply

The application is online and after filling it in the applicant(s) will need to go to the visa appointment at the scheduled time.

Can I apply if my partner is British

Yes, as long as your partner has worked in Europe before for at least a year and has proof of his time in a member state.

What can I do with this visa

You can work, study and live in the UK for 6 months.

Am I allowed to leave the UK

Yes during the 6 months you can comeback and leave the UK.

Do I need to show any savings or English language capabilities

No, under European Union Law you do not need to prove this.

What are you getting?

Family Permit (FP) a temporary right to work, live and study in the UK

Extension possibility to apply for a Residence card after those 6 months


  • You can leave the UK and come back as you require
  • You will have the right to work
  • "No limit" to the family members your European family member can invite
  • No financial requirements

Ask our experts

Speak with our experts

Our real case studies

Read our news