What are you getting?
NATURALISATION after 5 years continuous residence plus 12 extra months after
receiving ILR or PR
By obtaining naturalisation you are no longer subject to immigration rules
Your family can apply with you
No restrictions on travel, residence, work and studies
Can apply with multiple visa types
It is possible to become a British citizen by naturalisation or registration. Generally,
naturalisation as a British citizen is only possible after obtaining either Permanent Residence
(for EEA nationals) or ILR and only after 12 months from the issue date of the residence
We can help you make a successful application.
Naturalisation (Become a British Citizen)
There are different ways on becoming a British Citizen. The most widely used is called
You can apply via Naturalisation if:
- You are over 18 or over
- You are of ‘good character’ (i.e. no serious criminal record)
- You will continue to live in the UK
- You have met the necessary knowledge of the English language and life in the UK
- You have met the residency requirement
You also must have:
- Lived in the UK for the required period of at least 5 years (settlement)
- Spent no more than 450 days outside the UK
- Spent no more than 90 days outside the UK per year.
- Had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you are a citizen of an EEA country
(for those outside the UK different conditions may apply)
- Not broken any immigration laws in the UK
You cannot include any time spent in the UK when you are exempt from immigration control as part
of the 5 years.
Children under 18 will require their parents or legal guardians to apply on behalf of him/ her.
They will not need to pass the Life in the UK Test
If you are married to, or the civil partner of, a British citizen, you can apply for
- You are 18 or over
- You are of sound mind, you are able to think and make decisions for yourself
- You are of ‘good character’
- You have met passed the necessary English language and Life in the UK tests
- You have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or Permanent Residence if you are an
- You meet the residency requirement
After your application you will be invited to book a place at a citizenship ceremony if your
application is successful and you are over 18.
You will be allowed to take 2 guests with you.
Ceremonies are organised by your local council and are done in groups.
During the ceremony you will have to make an oath of allegiance (or you can make an affirmation
If you prefer not to swear by God) and a pledge. This means you will promise to uphold and
respect the rights, freedoms and laws of the UK.
At the end of the ceremony you will be presented with your certificate of British Citizenship and
a welcome pack.
After the ceremony you must immediately send your BRP card back to the Home Office.
After you receive your passport you will be no longer under control of UK immigration laws and
you will be able to freely travel to and from the UK.